Thursday, April 16, 2015

Jewelry Classes in my Home /Studio PMR

Jewelry Classes at Studio PMR

Starting this Spring, in fact, next week April 22nd.... I am offering jewelry making classes in my home studio. For years I have been asked "why dont you teach jewelry making?"  and I answered ....I plan to soon. 

I was asked by one of my fellow artist friends to teach : " Wire Wrapping Rngs"  because she wants to learn some of my methods.  I started writing tutorials a few months ago, so the timing is perfect.  

I am getting excited about teaching again.  I have a Bachelor degree in health education from the University of Alabama, but I havent taught classes in many years.
My degree was more suited to geriatric care of the elderly and children .  I taught in a vocational high school many years ago preparing high school students for caring for children and elderly patients.

I pursued my jewelry design career later in life after taking over the management of my parents jewelry store business.  That was a change in  direction I never have regretted.
It not only helped me learn about jewelry design, but it brought out the management and business skills that I enjoyed and was quite good at as well. 
I also grew closer to my parents as they were growing older.  I worked side by side with both of them for many years.  My mom had to retire for health reasons in early 1990s , but my dad continued to do watch repair and watchmaking  right beside me until he died of cancer in 2001.

I loved and respected my parents dearly... I would give anything to have them both back. Mom died in 2005 after a long illness that kept her bed ridden for years.  My sweet artist husband, Vanuel and I took her into our home the last 5 years of her life  so we could be close to her and give her the care she needed.

Now as I approach my retirement years... I realize how important teaching really is.  I have learned so much about  designing and creating jewelry over the years... it is now time I started passing this knowledge on to some others who want to learn.  I think this is important the older I get... and of course while I still have all of my faculties and abilities.

My husband is also a very excellent teacher and has taught art skills to young students for many years.  

The greatest part about living  and doing our "art" here on the Gulf Coast is we have met so many other artists and friends that are coming along with so much natural talent.  I want to be a mentor in "jewelry art skills & design"   now to  them as they are starting their careers in jewelry and art design.  

So next week, April 22, I will be starting my jewelry classes in my home studio / Studio PMR in Milton , Florida.... just a few minutes across the bay from Pensacola.

I will be keeping you updated on its growth and progress. I might even take some pics of my students as the learn to create "wire wrapped rings" next week .  This class will be an introduction class ... but I plan to have more in depth,  intermediate classes very soon. 

So keep reading my blog for the next class plans and updates.  I am so excited about this new direction I am taking..........

Van and I will still be working our usual art markets on the weekends... Palofox Market on Saturdays in Pensacola, Gallery Night  every third Friday night, and GCAA Art Market at the new "Waterway Village"  in Gulf Shores every first Saturday each month.

So continue to come out to visit us and buy our art..... we really appreciate our buyers and friends helping us supplement our income because it really is hard to make it as retirees without you  folks..... and sign up for my classes if you live close to Milton and Pensacola.

Stop in to see what is new in my shop:




No comments: